Travel Costs for Out-of- State Visitation

If you are a co-parent or a parent with limited custody of your children, then you may need to pay for travel expenses when the children come to visit you. The division of travel expenses will be contingent on your specific custody agreement. For example, if you are a primary custodian of the children who moved away from your ex-spouse then you may need to pay when they go to visit him or her. This is because you petitioned for relocation and may have agreed to cover all travel expenses as a result. If the travel expenses would have been avoided if you had not moved, then you will probably need to cover the costs.

On the other hand, if you are entitled to visitation but live in a different state because you moved away, then you may be required to pay for the travel expenses. If the children need to fly to meet you at your home, then you may be responsible for covering all plane tickets, food expenses during the traveling period, car rental or shuttle costs, and hotel accommodations. If your spouse needs to drive to bring you the children, you may be required to pay the cost of her gas bill to and from the location.

You may even need to pay for your spouse's gas expenses to and from the airport if he or she needs drop the children off. Sometimes young children are not allowed to travel without a companion, so you may need to put up the money for this cost as well. Most of the time, the spouse that moved away from the children's living location is the one that will need to pay the travel expenses. A spouse that remains where he or she was prior to the divorce normally avoids paying for travel costs unless that was a part of the offer when the parent petitioned for visitation. If you want more information about travelling costs and responsible parties then hire a San Fernando divorce attorney at Cutter & Lax today!