Enforcing Child or Spousal Support Orders

If you were involved in a divorce and won spousal or child support, then your ex is required by law to make the payments that were arranged in court on the appropriate due date. If the payer fails to keep up his or her end of the bargain, it can cause a legal battle. There are three main ways to enforce a support order.

First of all, divorcees can enter into a private agreement with their ex. This is an agreement which may suspend or reduce the amount of support that is owed. A spouse can also adjust the frequency of payments until an ex gets back on his or her feet. When creating a private agreement, we suggest you get a family lawyer involved. A divorce attorney in San Fernando can help you to arrange a fair private agreement that will only last until the paying spouse is able to resume payments as originally mandated by the court.

If a private agreement doesn't seem feasible in your case, you can try mediation. This involves sitting down with a qualified mediator or attorney to discuss solutions to the payment problems. If you can reach a satisfactory settlement with an attorney or mediator, you can present this to the court for legal implementation.

If this is not a possible solution, then you may want to go to court to enforce your spousal or child support orders. The best way to handle this is to go to the court where your divorce was granted and explain the situation. Bring a copy of your divorce agreement that specifies the support amount. The court may require wage garnishment from the paying spouse, or may grant a modification. This depends on the paying spouse's financial circumstances. If you want more information, talk with a divorce lawyer in San Fernando today!