How to Arrange Out-of-State Child Support

If your child's parent is out-of-state, then you will need to rely on the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act to govern your child support payments. This act was created back in 1992, and it sets a national standard for each state to follow when enforcing child support orders and other post-divorce agreements. This act unified the laws, so that there won't be too much hassle when it comes to getting child support from a parent in another state.

Only one state's order for child support can be enfo4rced at a time, meaning that other states are required to agree to one state's rules regarding the child support order that is affiliated with your divorce. The laws that are enforced are called the "controlling order" in yoru child support cases. This means, for example, that if an order for child support is issued in Texas, then the courts in Tennessee, North Carolina, or Florida would be required to operate under the Texas statutes regarding that specific case. The order will be registered with the other states under the controlling order.

If you currently owe child support to a parent in another state, then your home state may be able to take action. If you fail to pay up, the state can garnish your wages, suspend your business or professional licenses, seize your property, or revoke your driver's license.

If you are waiting for a spouse to pay you court-ordered child support that is overdue, then you need to make sure that you have a controlling order. You may need to attend court hearings in the other state, though you can normally appear in courts via telephone. If you want more information about out-of-state child support, don't hesitate to call a San Fernando family lawyer at our firm today! We can help you secure your child support arrangements and get the payment you deserve!