Ventura County Family Law Attorneys
Work with a Board Certified Family Law Specialist
At Cutter & Lax Attorneys at Law, we know how difficult dealing with complex situations relating to family law can be. No matter whether you are seeking a dissolution of your marriage or if you are facing a complex child custody battle, it is important to know you have experienced legal representation on your side. At our firm, we are proud to represent clients in all types of family law cases – from alimony to property division to establishing or de-establishing paternity.
With more than 30 years of experience, our Ventura County family lawyers have the in-depth knowledge that you need to protect your rights. Call (818) 839-2533 to discuss your situation.
Areas of Practice
Want to know more about our firm? We encourage you to read some of our practice areas below and contact us when you need help:
- Annulment: Annulment can void marriages and there are many grounds to gain an annulment from the court. Fraud, prior existing marriage, and being underage are often acceptable reasons to nullify a marriage. Speak with a lawyer for more information on whether your marriage can be nullified.
- Child Custody: Are you fighting for sole or joint custody of your children? At our firm, we know the importance of preserving relationships with your family and will do everything we can to ensure you are not cut off. Let us fight for custody of your children to ensure you receive constant and continuous interaction with them.
- Child Support: No matter if you are asking for support or being asked to pay, you can trust our firm to help. We know the importance of this subject and know just how much is on the line. We can help fight to make sure your child support agreement is fair.
- Divorce: The dissolution of marriage can be complex. No matter whether you have been married for a few short years or for decades, it is painful to split a family. At our firm, we understand this and are prepared to do everything possible to help our clients through the process as painlessly as possible.
- Enforcement of Orders: Has your ex-spouse violated a court-order? You can take legal action to have the agreement enforced. Penalties can be imposed if an order is being ignored by the opposing party. Various circumstances can result in the enforcement of orders, such as a violation of child custody or spousal support order.
- Domestic Violence: If you are the victim of domestic violence, you must take immediate action to resolve that matter. You can gain protection from the court through a protective or restraining order. If you are accused of domestic violence, you may lose the opportunity to receive custody of your child or lose visitation rights.
- Legal Separation: Legal separation is an alternative to divorce when reconciliation may be an option. In California, there are no residency requirements for obtaining a legal separation. Legal separation can take place at once, but divorce takes six months. Whatever your reasons are for pursuing legal separation, you and your family may benefit from this process.
- Mediation: Mediation is a divorce option for those pursuing the termination of their marriage. It is a less formal process than going to court, but it still involves different stages to ensure organization. In mediation, a third party mediator can act as a go-between for the disputing parties.
- Property Division: Dividing property can be painful and stressful, to say the least. At our firm, we fight to make sure you don't have to part with any property unnecessarily. We will make sure your best interests are represented throughout the entire process.
- Spousal Support: Are you seeking alimony? Being asked to pay too much? If you are being treated unfairly or if you feel your rights are being ignored, get Cutter & Lax Attorneys at Law involved. We have handled countless cases of this nature and are ready to put our in-depth knowledge of the law to work on your behalf.
How Can Our Ventura County Family Lawyers Help You?
Looking to move away after a divorce? Seeking a modification of a court order? Wanting to adopt a child? These are all scenarios which fall under the umbrella of family law. At our firm, we understand how difficult it is to deal with these emotionally charged topics and we want you to know we are here to help protect you.
We are conveniently located at the following address:
2625 Townsgate Road, Suite 330
Westlake Village, CA 91361
We make it easy for our clients to seek the professional legal representation that they deserve. We encourage you to stay in communication with us even when you are not on this site. We are active on Facebook, Twitter, and more – so give us a follow or a like. There, you will be able to receive updates from our firm, as well as breaking news about family law issues.
One of our founding attorneys, Nelson F. Cutter, is a retired JAG officer and spent four years working as the Chief of Legal Assistance at the White Sands Missile Range in New Mexico. With a blend of legal and military experience, he is uniquely qualified to help members of the military with their divorces; however, he has the compassionate, clear-eyed knowledge necessary to help anyone with a wide-variety of legal issues. Beyond his time spent in the military, he also proudly worked as the Deputy District Attorney for El Paso County in Colorado.
Attorney Matthew E. Lax is board certified by the State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization in family law. He graduated from California State University, Northridge with a B.S. in Political Science before attending Whittier Law School, where he received his Juris Doctorate. He has been admitted to practice law in the state of California, as well as all federal district courts within the state. He has become known as a straight talking attorney with a deep investment in his clients. Mr. Lax does not satisfy himself with subpar assistance; instead he goes above and beyond to ensure his clients are cared for and protected.
Schedule a Consultation with Cutter & Lax Attorneys at Law
If you want to discuss your case with a Ventura County family law attorney, we encourage you to contact us as soon as possible. Over the years, we have proven ourselves as advocates for local families.
Simply pick up the phone and call (818) 839-2533.You can also fill out our online case evaluation form. We look forward to assisting you in seeking a just resolution for your case.